Friday, July 25, 2008

Students Clean School -- And Actually Like It!

This is one of the most amazing parts of the Japanese education system to me. Every day, students grab mops, brooms and rags and give their school a thorough cleaning called o'soji. Teachers, principals and other adults at the school also help out. In this video, you'll also see Bill, the Assistant English Language Teacher at Ena High School, pitching in with the garbage. I was an Assistant English teacher in Ena's junior highs and elementary schools 15 years ago, though I was treated more like a guest and did not participate in o'soji. Media Academy students, if you're reading, how about starting this at our school this coming year?





2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey this video cut out at the best part -- just when they were about to tell us why they like to clean! bummer. well, you'll have to tell me about it when you're back!

Shafer Sensei said...

I am certainly not a master of videotaping, especially on my Cybershot camera that can't handle much video on its battery. Sorry! It remains a mystery!