Monday, July 28, 2008

I Should Never Have Tried This...(apologies vegetarians!)


I should never have ordered Kobe Beef in Kobe. No, not because the bill came to $104 for a single meal (actually, that's a bargain compared to Kobe Beef bought elsewhere). Because I do not want to go back to regular American beef ... not even the best filet mignon. (My camera battery is dead, so you don't see my actual steak on this blog.)

Why is Kobe Beef so expensive and so delicious? Some say it is because the cows that produce Kobe Beef are massaged every day and fed beer or sake. But my guide book tells me that it's more likely just the special way the cows are bred and the diet of alfalfa, corn, barley and wheat straw.

While the actual meat was delish, the way the chef prepared it in front of me was just as much of a treat. My steak chef spent as much time getting my garlic slices browned just right as he did cooking the beef.

I was jealous of the customer next to me, a Mexican college student who was traveling in Japan during a break from his studies in Australia. He order the "special Kobe Beef" at $154. He deemed it the best steak he has ever eaten, better than Morten's, better than Argentinian beef. Ah, I think I'll spend the $50 I didn't spend on the BEST Kobe Beef on a nice trip to the sushi bar. I am headed to Tokyo today and have a great tip on a sushi bar near the Tokyo fish market. (And I'll get that soy dipping right this time!)

No comments: