Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Art of Omiyage



Getting ready to visit Japan means buying omiyage -- or souvenirs. This is always difficult for me when I don't know exactly whom I am going to meet. Omiyage should be something that represents where I am from, not some standard gift. Certainly not a gift that is made in Japan! I'm also trying to think of gifts that will be easy to pack, especially with the airlines cracking down on weight. Therefore, California wine is probably not going to work.

Since I am in Ohio right now, a few of my omiyage will come from here. My mom, an artist, is going to paint some nice stationery for me to give to a few of the women who host me. She usually puts flowers on them and this time, I will ask that she put hydrangea or ajisai, one flower name that I learned in Japanese before English. Later today, I'm driving down to Ohio State University to see my niece swim in a big meet, so I think I'll get some Ohio State trinkets for teenagers and kids I meet in Japan. Ohio is pronounced pretty much the same way as the Japanese word for "good morning" (ohayoo) So, I guess that I'm headed to Good Morning State University ... hmm.

No comments: