Monday, July 7, 2008

O-hisashiburi!


O'hisashiburi essentially means "long time, no see" in Japanese. And it's the start of many an e-mail and snail mail I am writing these last days before heading off to Japan.


I was in Japan teaching English on the JET Programme before e-mail was widely used, so I'm relying on snail mail to catch up with most of my friends and let them know I'll be in Japan soon. Luckily, I had the e-mail address of one of my former students, Akiko, and she has helped me get in touch with her "super-genki" mom, Hisayo. Akiko was just in eighth grade when I was her Assistant English Teacher, or AET, at Ena Nishi Chuugakkoo. Now, she is married to an American and living in San Diego. Hisayo still lives in Ena City (Gifu Prefecture) and she is welcoming me to stay with her for "many days." Hisayo is Exhibit A of Japanese hospitality ... such a sweetie!
One of my snail mails made it to Japan today, and I now have another contact! Kazumi (Hara Sensei) was one of the kindest people I met while in Ena. She taught English at Ena Nishi Chuugakkoo and befriended me early on. We went loads of places together and she even invited me to join "Rocky Top," her square dancing club that practiced a few towns away from Ena. Never thought I'd learn steps like the California Roll in Japan, but I did. Yeee Hi!

No comments: