Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Top of Japan

This is me at the top of Mt. Fuji, the tallest mountain in Japan.

The smile covers up my true feelings -- I was totally exhausted and in pain. In fact, I almost quit at station 7 out of 10 stations up the mountain. What kept me going was the memory of the Media Academy trip to Yosemite in April. I remember students who really thought they would not make it up to Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls, but kept going and made it. Thank you students for inspiring me to keep going!

To my BAWT friends, I thought of you often on the way up and down. I thought carrying those beans in my bear canister for three days was going to be the hardest part of my summer. Nope, dealing with blisters, lack of oxygen, nausea, and lack of friends to keep me company up to 3,776 meters was the hardest part of my summer .... and maybe the hardest physical feat of my life. I look forward to sharing all the details at a BAWT reunion soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Great job, I'm so proud of your accomplishment. I'm not sure I could have climbed it alone. Can't wait to hear more after your trip.

Molly Mack said...

Lisa - That is awesome!!! Your moutain love (and tears) all started on the slopes of Telluride. Go Risa! - Tom